- Homelessness charity Depaul UK is raising awareness of hidden homelessness by asking the public to #SleepBedless
- The Campaign – created in partnership with creative agency Publicis•Poke – is being launched today (Tuesday, 16 June 2020)
- People are simply asked to #SleepBedless for one night, donate £5 to Depaul UK and nominate three others to do the same
- A donation of £15 could pay for a bed-night at Depaul’s emergency accommodation service Nightstop
Depaul UK today (Tuesday, 16 June 2020) launches the #SleepBedless viral campaign – asking the public to sleep without beds for a night to raise awareness of hidden homelessness and fundraise to help cover the charity’s coronavirus crisis costs.
The crisis has been devastating for young people experiencing homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless, with Covid-19 making their lives even more precarious, moving from place to place and sleeping on sofas or with strangers in unsafe situations.
Depaul’s research has shown that more than half (55 percent) of young people in hidden homelessness have suffered some form of harm, such as mental or emotional abuse (29 percent), physical assault or abuse (28 percent), being pressurised into drinking alcohol or taking drugs (25 percent), being sexually abused or exploited (12 percent) or having their property stolen (36 percent).
Kevin Clements, Depaul UK’s Executive Director of Fundraising & Communications, said: “Our services, including our emergency accommodation network Nightstop, give young people the alternative to hidden homelessness that they so desperately need.”
Dave Monk, Publicis•Poke Executive Creative Director, said: “We mustn’t forget the most vulnerable through this coronavirus crisis. #SleepBedless is a way for the public to take action, raise funds for Depaul and do genuine good at a time of most need.”
The #SleepBedless campaign asks people to do three simple actions:
• SLEEP bedless for one night,
• DONATE £5 to Depaul UK, and
• NOMINATE three other people to complete the #SleepBedless Challenge.
The Campaign Hub, which is now live, is at: http://ireland.depaul.test/sleepbedless
Depaul UK media contacts: